Dessert never quite seems complete without a little whipped cream.
But what’s a vegan to do?!
With these nine flavor variations on a classic, you’re guaranteed to find one to fit your mood.
No dessert to add it to? No problem. Eating by the spoonful works just as well.
Use one (or multiple) of the following additions to take your vegan coconut-based whip cream to the next flavor level. Just mix the recommended amount of each flavor with the base whipped cream recipe provided below, and you’ll be ready for any dessert.
- Vanilla: 1 vanilla bean or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Almond: 1 oz Amaretto or ½ tsp almond extract
- Rosemary: 1 tsp freshly minced rosemary
- Orange: Zest of one orange
- Citrus: Zest of one lemon
- Chai: 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Cinnamon: 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Chocolate: 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chill coconut cream in the refrigerator for 1 hour to separate the cream from the liquid.
- Chill a large mixing bowl for 10 minutes in the freezer before whipping.
- Carefully open the can and scoop only the thickened cream from the top into the chilled mixing bowl.
- Alternatively: flip that can upside down, open it wrong-side up, and pour the liquid off into a separate container. Then you don’t have worry about accidentally splashing yourself to get that thickened cream out!
- Reserve the remaining coconut water for future use.
- Whip the coconut cream with a whisk for 30 seconds, incorporating air into the cream.
- Add the powdered sugar (or maple syrup) and any additional flavorings.
- Whip for another 30 seconds.
- Use immediately or refrigerate. It will harden and set in the fridge the longer it’s chilled!