Yes, you totally can just buy vanilla extract from the store. But isn’t it fun (sometimes) to DIY?
This delicious and simple homemade vanilla extract will take your baked goods to the next level. Plus, you get bragging points for basically being Martha Stewart and making it yourself.
Chef Ron shows us how.
- 1 cup (250mL) vodka
- 6 vanilla beans
- Split each vanilla bean in half lengthwise.
- Place the vanilla beans in a glass bottle or jar and cover with vodka, making sure they’re completely submerged.
- Close bottle or jar and store in a dark, cool place. Shake the bottle at least once a week. The vanilla extract will keep indefinitely at room temperature.
- The vanilla beans need to soak for at least one month to release enough flavor but waiting three months is recommended.
- Use in all your favorite baked goods!