Vegan Thanksgiving Menu Part 5: Vegan Gravy
PREP 5 MIN | COOK 15 MIN
Recipe By The Ora Crew
The quest to create a vegan Thanksgiving gravy was an ambitious and (if we’re being honest) incredibly intimidating one.
Around the Thanksgiving table, gravy graces every single dish, topping the “turkey,” the mashed potatoes, and the green bean casserole, not to mention the fronts of our nice dinner shirts.
As such an important element of the meal and we knew we had to get it right.
Our secret to a vegan gravy? It’s in the miso paste. That umami, meaty flavor you get from your traditional gravy is all here in our vegan version.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp warm water
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil
- Add in the flour and whisk until smooth
- Add in the vegetable broth and continue to stir
- In a small separate bowl, dissolve miso paste into warm water
- Add the miso water, soy sauce, onion powder, and pepper to the saucepan mixture and continue stirring until desired thickness is achieved
- Serve warm and impress all the meat-eaters!