Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream
PREP 60 MIN | COOK 5 MIN
Recipe By The Ora Crew
Dessert never quite seems complete without a little whipped cream. But what's a vegan to do?! With these nine flavor variations on a classic you're guaranteed to find one to fit your mood (or sweet tooth).
No dessert to add it to? No problem: by the spoonful works just as well.
- One 14-ounce can (414 ml) unsweetened full fat coconut cream
- ¼ cup organic powdered sugar or 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean or 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 oz Amaretto or ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp freshly minced rosemary (optional)
- Zest of one orange (optional)
- Zest of one lemon (optional)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- Chill coconut cream in the refrigerator for 1 hour to separate the cream from the liquid.
- Chill a large mixing bowl for 10 minutes in the freezer before whipping.
- Carefully open the can and scoop only the thickened cream from the top into the chilled mixing bowl. Reserve the remaining coconut water for future use. (Alternatively: flip that can upside down, open it wrong-side up, and pour the liquid off into a separate container. Then you don't have worry about accidentally splashing yourself to get that thickened cream out!)
- Whip the coconut cream with a whisk for 30 seconds, incorporating air into the cream.
- Add the powdered sugar (or maple syrup), any additional flavorings - each optional ingredient is a new flavor profile - and whip for another 30 seconds.
- Use immediately or refrigerate - it will harden and set in the fridge the longer it's chilled!