- 2 cups organic buckwheat
- ½ cup (4 scoops) protein powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tsp organic fair trade espresso powder
- 1.5 cups organic unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup organic pureed pumpkin
- 2 tbsp grade B organic maple syrup
- unrefined, virgin coconut oil
Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Make a well in the dry ingredients to add in the wet. Fold until fully combined.
Heat coconut oil to coat your pan. Spread a dollop of batter onto the pan so it’s only about ½ inch in thickness. Cook for about two minutes each side. Makes about 12 small pancakes.
Drizzle with grade B organic maple syrup, spread nut butter on top or add a little more pumpkin to your plate for some extra sweet veggie goodness.
Why we love this…
Not only are you getting your clean Ora protein, but every ingredient works to your advantage (rather than leaving you on a bloated sugar high!).
- Buckwheat is naturally gluten free, so it’s a great alternative to regular whole wheat or white flour.
- The espresso powder gives a little caffeine boost--perfect for pre-workout fuel--without having the strong acidity of a hot brewed cup of coffee.
- Nut milks are a great alternative to dairy for those who are either lactose intolerant or have trouble digesting dairy.
- With the pumpkin you get to boast that you had antioxidant-packed veggies in your morning pancakes. Because it’s a sweet vegetable, it satisfies the sweet flavor craving while keeping it low glycemic.
- Whenever you buy maple syrup get grade B. It seems like it’d be the ugly stepsister to grade A, but in this case second really is the best. Grade B typically has a higher nutrient content based on when it’s tapped in the season.
- Coconut oil is antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial along with being a healthy saturated fat. Not to mention, the coconut flavor is incredible here.